Sunday 30 January 2011

The paleo problem #3: saying no to sugar

Paleo eating means saying no to sugar. This is EXTREMELY difficult.  Why?
  1. Sugar is an addictive substance and we suffer chemical withdrawal symptoms when we stop eating products containing sugar
  2. We all eat around one (1) kilo of sugar each week - even if you don't sweeten your tea - as sugar is added to every conceivable food product that is mass produced (reference - Sweet Poison).  
Even soy sauce can have sugar in its ingredients list.  

I am finding it difficult this week. My first week of paleo eating was fine. This weekend - a lot harder.  I am emotional and moody, so I expect hormones are getting me going at the moment. And my normal reaction to being emotional and moody? Sweet sweet baked goods (or chocolate of course). 

I did a marathon baking session before going on this challenge to get rid of sugar in my pantry. The result? A lot of sweet treats like cake, biscuits and cupcakes, portioned in little packets in the freezer for my husband to take to work as treats.

At 3pm on Saturday and 3pm on Sunday, I ate a slice of cake from the freezer.  It is done.  But my feelings?
  1. Disappointed.  I ate cake when I said I wouldn't.
  2. Resigned - so I at least tried to taste each bite rather than eat it mindlessly.  
  3. Happy - I didn't turn it into a binge fest as I stuck to one piece of cake each day.
Sugar and the long term
Eating paleo actually makes getting rid of sugar in my diet easier, because the only "allowed" food that has significant sugar levels in it is fruit.

Despite my cake setbacks on the weekend, I could be convinced to remove sugar from my diet forever more.  Why?

I am currently reading Sweet Poison, so I am pretty convinced that sugar is evil and I want it out of my life completely.  Stay tuned for further information to this monumental change in my life.

No comments: