Thursday 27 January 2011

The paleo problem # 2 saying no to breakfast staples

I have eaten eggs for breakfast since starting out on this journey.  9 mornings.  And can I just say... I AM SICK OF EGGS!

If grains are out, what else is there to eat at breakfast?

Saying no to standard breakfast products will be a challenge for eight weeks.Why? What else is quicker or more convenient than pouring from the cereal packet, or popping the toast?  Oh, and can I just repeat that I am REALLY sick of eggs? 

Bread in Australia
While some mass produced breads are getting better in the supermarket ailses, most are just bleh. So, giving up grains should be simple, yes?

Not when Leavain and other artisan bakers come onto the scene.

Leavain... their bread is just SO good. From wholesome to wicked, their yeasty products are superb. My husband only buys bread from Leavain or from bakers at the Saturday Village Markets in Kelvin Grove- where a baker bring along their massive portable oven and bake the breads right there.

Where bread is whole grained, sour doughed, and fresh, where wheat is an option rather than a standard flour, then yes, saying no to grains is a whole lot harder.

Giving up bread will require some serious researching for breakfast alternatives.

My husband will continue to bring that Leavain goodness into the home, but I still have hope of not touching bread for eight weeks. My secret? Without butter, what is the point of eating bread?

No comments: