Saturday 15 January 2011

My Ultimate Goal

Ultimate Goal: To maintain a healthy BMI  (22-24) for the rest of my life.

Let me unpack what my ultimate goal actually means for me right now, today.

Wikipedia tells me that a good goal needs to be "specific, measurable, and time-targetted"... and that if it is "realistic" it is more likely to be achieved.

Specific
I am 92 kilos (202 pounds). To reach a BMI of 22.5 - exactly halfway between the "healthy" numbers 20-25 -  I need to be 62 kilos.


I need to lose 30 kilos (66 pounds). hmm...

I am already feeling too much pressure just writing that number.  Way too big a number, way too big a goal to start off with. No way can I lose 30 kilos.  I am already feeling scared and wanting to grab a chocolate bar.

That completely FAILS the "realistic" side of a good goal.

I am going to have to break down my ultimate goal - to maintain a healthy BMI - into smaller achievable parts if I am even going to TRY to do this.

No comments: