Tuesday 15 March 2011

To diet or not to diet - that is the question

I am in a spot of bother.  I am in a little dither.  What should I do? 

Go on the dukan diet? 
I saw a friend while in Singapore who had lost 25 pounds since the last time I saw her - she blames the Dukan Diet.  I've looked it up and I am excited! I read the whole blog of a guy who lost 50 pounds following it 

Of course, I am also worried about going on a diet, too.  I mean, how many diets do I need to do before I realise that there is no quick fix to becoming healthy? Although, the results of the guy from the blog are pretty motivating!

Get back into the training for the 10km fun run? 
I have missed three training sessions - the equivalent of a week's worth of training. And I am feeling extremely unmotivated to continue. I think I may be scared of the 3km time trial, and avoiding it by trying to quit. 

Although on the plus side, I did run 1.5km with the dog this morning without turning into a beetroot, which I was chuffed about! It felt pretty comfortable to jog that distance. Three weeks ago, I couldn't jog that far at all. Which means the training program is working to improve my jogging fitness (not my thin fitness).


AAARRRGGGHHHH!!
I am in such a horrid mental space right now.  Not depressed.  Just stressed by work, and scared of a few of the large number of tasks I have to get through in the next three weeks.  Real challenges to my professional life that lie completely outside my comfort zones, but are essential for me to do to gain experience and move to the next level. 

When it comes to work, I hate failure. I find it unacceptable.  And making mistakes is something I don't tolerate in myself either.  And I feel extremely close to making lots of mistakes, and failing quite spectacularly, over the coming weeks. 

It is extraordinarily uncomfortable.  I feel extraordinarily uncomfortable.  It is hitting every one of my neuroses that require a "let's fall in a heap and binge on ice-cream and watch tv repeats and avoid phone calls" sort of response.

No wonder I want to take up a quick fix diet option along with quitting the hard jogging stuff. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you've answered your question. Moderation in all cases is the key. Is this a program that you can follow for the rest of your life? Anything other than that scares me away because what I am trying to do is find something healthy that I can stick to. Not something that I go on and off.

I have been in this state so many times, Fiona and I understand. I just keep going back to what I know is right and true. No matter what you do it usually ends up being 1-3 lbs a week at the end of it all. There is no quick fix - that sticks.

I don't like failure either, but if you're not making some mistakes you really aren't living. Learning from your mistakes is the most important thing. I commend you on your fitness training. I think that is the best thing you can do for yourself...and eating healthily. You've got this in the bag.

Karen said...

As a "serial dieter," my opinion would be do not try it. If I had just done little changes and lost weight slowlllly over time instead of always wanting to quick fix, I'd be skinny by now:(