Thursday 3 March 2011

13 reasons to look forward, not back

The last few posts have all been about failure, losing control, making a mountain out of a molehill.

So, I thought it time to give out a positive message.

I have jogged 13 kilometres since Tuesday 22 February. 

13 brilliant reasons to be proud.  13 reasons to look to the future, not the past.  Regret is a waste of energy.

With my meltdown a few weeks ago, some things have changed, some things have stayed the same.

I still walk my dog twice a day
Dusty is such an important part of my life, but I am away at work during the day. So the walks are just as important for her as for me.

Now these walking sessions can be anything from a 5 minute amble to a 1 hour stride. But more often it is an amble/walk for 20 minutes.  And that doesn't get my heart rate up enough for weight loss. 

I quit training with my personal trainer
I was feeling resentful and angry and only just keeping the excuses at bay for missing sessions when.... I did miss a session and made up an excuse and... well that is a slippery slope of self-recriminations, "you are a failure" self-talk and such like. I just didn't want to turn my high-intensity exercise sessions into this type of internal battleground of guilt, denial and a whole lot of other emotional stuff.

It was exercise. I just need to include higher intensity exercise in my daily life. And I am not prepared to exhaust my emotions nor hang my "success" on going to PT.

So, with my change in focus from x kilos lost per week, I had to set another goal for my exercise, or I really wouldn't add exercise into my life.

Setting a goal without the scales numbers looming over me
While at work, I saw someones printing at the copier.  Training schedules for the Gold Coast Marathon.  Well, that was not something I was going to do. But, what I did like was the training diary itself - straightforward. 

So, I jumped online, and behold, they had LOTS of training diaries for lots of different distances.  I looked at the training diary for the 10km fun run, for a beginner (someone who had never run 10 before). It looks like something I could do. And that is MOTIVATING.

Guess who is doing a 20 week training program to run my first 10km fun run? I am pretty excited.

A friend asked last night if I thought I would be able to stick with this.  I honestly don't know. But what I do want to concentrate on is the PRACTICE of including sessions of high-intensity exercise into my week - where I am red faced and puffed and sweaty. 

No PT? No worries. Following a 10km fun run 20 week training program is working well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woot 10K. I did a few 5K's in my hey-day and had an awesome time. The crowd is so electric. Give it a go, I say.

Karen said...

Kudos to you for focusing on the positives and looking forward:)