Thursday 17 March 2011

The good space

I am in the good space.  The one that can often preceed the descent into the pit. 

Everything seems to be going well.  I am challenging myself, I am making good choices, and well, the goals I am trying to achieve may actually seem achievable - losing weight and exercising each day is a reality...

I have had such a roller coaster relationship with weight, self-esteem, exercise, and my mental health, that I have come to distrust these optimistic times. 

Usually, I will add more and more challenges to my life, more and more goals to achieve.  Because I am feeling great, I am on top of the world, I am meeting my tiny challenges and goals quickly and easily.  So of course I should try harder, lose weight quicker, do more exercise - "life isn't meant to be easy".

And what happens next? It DOES become too hard. I become bitterly disappointed that I haven't achieved my goals (I have missed training for a whole week, I am giving up), I haven't lost a gram, I am never going to meet my goals... and then this spirals into a dozen poor choices that lead to hiding under the bed covers for a day, or a week, or a month.

So, what I am going to do this time, while I am in this good space?  Enjoy it!  And not add more to my plate.

I am training for a 10km fun run in early July.  All I have to do is follow the training program. So, that is what I am going to do.

And here is where it gets tricky. That is currently my only goal.  And I SO want to include a food related goal.  And, I am seduced by the idea of the Dukan Diet. 

I am feeling good, and wanting to add another goal to the table.  The little voice whispers, do Dukan, do Dukan do Dukan...

So much weight lost so quickly.... following Dukan....

Of course diets don't work - we have all been on them - it is when we get off them, then look at ourselves a few months later to see the weight back on (and more) - that is the diet cruelty.  So, there is no doubt in my mind that in the short term Dukan will work...

So, am I going to kick start my weight loss by doing a month long dance with Dukan? 

Hah!

I am not going to decide now. I am not going to pressure myself. And I am certainly NOT going to allow Dukan to do my head in and help me descend into the pit. Not this time, buster.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fiona, I so relate to this post that it's scary. The roller coaster relationship; the distrust. WOW. It's all black and white thinking though, isn't it? If it isn't perfect, then forget it. I think that we need to get this out of our minds because it is never going to be perfect. Little by little, bit by bit does add up to a whole lot of something. Time and perserverance are the keys to success. Stay strong.