Wednesday 2 February 2011

My personal training experience #2


At my first session in 2010 with Andy-the-personal-trainer, it was all about benchmarking.

The nitty gritty
Andy weighed me, measured me up (arms, thighs, chest, waist, hips), and pinched my fat to measure that too.  All extremely humiliating while he was alway upbeat and cheerful.

The rest of the session was doing a series of exercises to "benchmark" me against what he called standard measures - how fast I rowed 500 metres, sit ups, push ups, and so on.  It was intense, but I did feel the feel-good endorphins flowing afterwards (and sore for quite a few days after it).

Goalsetting
And we talked about my goals. I was not very specific about that, just saying I wanted to be "fitter", and healthy before I tried to get pregnant.  Losing weight was what I was specifically after.

Andy wanted me to think of goals like "run a marathon", or "bench-press 60 kilos". I had no idea what he was talking about, and I had no ambition to run a marathon. I wanted to lose weight, so I said my goal was to fit into a size 10.

So we discussed my diet. More in the next post.

No comments: